The Diesel Mechanic supports the Equipment Manager and Farm Manager in sustaining productive and economic farm operations by performing standard and advanced diagnostics, repair and maintenance on all farm equipment including but not limited to tractors, implements, engines and facilities.
CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. We proudly and relentlessly continue to meet the highest standards of stewardship when it comes to the three things we value most: our land, our employees, and our communities. We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees' opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic. Relationships
The Diesel Mechanic reports to the Equipment Manager and will provide work direction to farm hands as needed. Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently keep equipment at optimum operation level at all times by: Detecting the cause(s) of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic problems, correcting the cause(s) of the problems, and performing related repairs as necessary. Performing setup and pre-delivery inspection of new equipment. Performing preventive maintenance as recommended by company and related manufacturers. Keeping accurate, complete, and timely records of repair work performed. Operating heavy and light equipment including but not limited to tractors, trucks, pickups, skid steers, loaders and other equipment as needed. Performing welding, acetylene burning, brazing, and soldering as required. Performing general labor and cleaning related to equipment maintenance. Keeps work area safe, neat and organized as necessary for efficient job performance.
Experience and Skills: Desired Position Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent, Mechanical, Diesel Technician or other related certifications strongly preferred
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job with or without accommodations including but not limited to continuous bending, squatting, twisting at the waist, shoulders and knees, and crouching to achieve angle and positions required to perform various repairs. Also with or without accommodation independently and repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 75 pounds frequently.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the operation and repair of both gasoline and diesel engines, hydraulic operation and repairs as related to pumps, controls, and transmission components, and electricity and components as it is related to equipment or machinery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or the ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precaution
- Ability to read and comprehend repair manuals, electrical schematics, hydraulic schematics and/or written instructions and/or oral instructions for repair work performed.
- Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and timely records for repair work performed.
- Willingness and ability to perform work extended hours including on weekends, holidays as required by seasonal nature of the business.
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic and exceptional interpersonal skill.
- Self-directed individual who leads projects to identify and implement solutions with team input.
- Demonstrated parts budget management and inventory control.
- Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities.
- Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver's license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification.
- Ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Current CDL license
- 5+ years' experience working on farm equipment at an advanced level
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. AAP/EEO Statement
CSS Farms provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS Farms complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.